Tony,

As usual, you make some good points, however, I have a little different
viewpoint.
For the past 20 years I have worked for several "mom and pop" companies. These
companies have refused to provide training for their employees including me and
are very slow to adopt new developments in this business.

I get reasons like, "for what I'm paying you, you should already know ever
thing", "when so and so got back from training, they told me 'I know enough to
get started, but I'm no expert', so no more training." (I guess the boss thinks
a few days in class make you an expert!), "I'll send you when we get a customer
to buy the xyz product" and several more I can't remember at the moment.

Once, I was charged with supporting a customer with a new product and I was
"allowed" to attend the same 3 day FREE training as the customer!! The customer
had a couple of programmers that dug into it and within a couple of DAYS they
knew more about it than I did, but I was still supposed to act like I knew what
I was doing! Very frustrating.

Any kind of Pick related training is always "somewhere else" and when the
employer won't pay for you to go, what do you do?

I understand it costs a lot but not being properly trained costs too.

It seems a lot of employers want someone with specific experience instead of
looking at your potential and ambition.

Regards,

Don Robinson