>From Wjhonson
> Of all the jobs posted over the past several years, several have
asked
> for SB+ experience, none have asked for any other product of that
class.

I'll respond to that here because it dove-tails with what I have
below. You don't see ads, in-part, because the sites still running the
old software are largely not aware that an MV community exists that
might respond to such an ad. Many of them don't even know what
software they have running on their "DOS" system. Most of them that I
run across have no consultants (I dare say "Value-Add Reseller") who
strongly insists on upgrades. The result is that they only reach out
to the world after a hard drive failure, hurricane, or some other
catastrophe. More below.

> From: Brian Leach
> So an 80% conversion is easy ..

Yeah, everyone claims to do 80%, some only really do 50%. But we all
know it's that last 20% that occupies your time for the next year or
three. So perhaps to further refine the query, I'm looking for tools
that really do bring us closer to that 95-98% mark - with no marketing
fluff to bridge the gap between there and 80%.

I don't have any immediate opportunities but I keep stumbling on these
poor sites. And if I do, and picking up orphans isn't my business,
then you gotta know that people who do go after that business must be
finding more of these. Some of these sites have gone through
developers (aka snake-oil salesmen) who claim they're going to convert
the software but never do, and eventually the sites just migrate away
from MV. It's a terrible story.

[uh oh, soapbox alert]
You'd think the MV DBMS providers would take some interest in this but
I've yet to see any of them pro-actively offer assistance to any of
these sites, for-fee or otherwise. I know the original intent was to
discontinue support for SB and  earlier SB+ in an effort to force
end-users to migrate to U2. That tactic worked for some sites but the
people who implemented that policy simply didn't have a plan-B for the
large number of sites that didn't fall for it. They were thinking
about starving out their DBMS competition by leveraging this tool.
What actually happened is that end-users decided not to upgrade their
DBMS just so they could keep using SB, and these sites migrate away
from the model as soon as some "young nephew" comes along. So everyone
loses with this predatory approach.

I'm not asking any company to maintain software when it's not in their
financial interest, nor to chase small sites that are more inclined to
drop support than to migrate to a new platform. But from a marketing
perspective we all lose when a policy like this is only
half-implemented.

Regards,