Hi Symeon,

Interestingly we're facing a similar issue here in Oz whereby we're wanting to
send certain activation codes to our overseas clients for security purposes.

Currently we're doing this for our local clients and apart from the odd "modem"
failure, have no issues sending to domestic mobile numbers,  sending to
international mobiles is proving to be a headache particularly with number
validation and certainty of delivery as others have mentioned.

There is the cost associated with this too. Currently I think it is $0.50 per
international SMS message and given that there's no guarantee of delivery
success, the likelihood of repeated failed attempts is quite real.

Searching around for possible solutions we found these which may be of interest
to you:

Firstly a possible regex solution to validate a number and the related
discussions
/^(\+|\d)[0-9]{7,16}$/;
Reference:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5066329/regex-for-valid-international-mobile-phone-number

And then there's this phone number validator:
https://code.google.com/p/libphonenumber/

I've only started playing with the regex this week so do not have a working
solution yet and haven't really looked at the libphonenumber but it may be
useful as a front end validation prior to storing the number in UV.

One other thing I've considered is to not implement mobile number validation at
all. If the number is prefixed with a + then it would be considered an
international destination. As long as the remainder of the number is all
numeric I can send it to our SMS gateway and job is done.

We also have an alternative procedure/screen for customer service to use to
circumvent the international SMS failures and edit/enable the related functions
for those clients overseas.

HTH
Cheers
Peter