On 04/09/2013 20:27, Ard956 wrote:
We are on Windows Server 2003.
I think you can get rsync for Windows, but also investigate robocopy. I don't know whether that can do the same.

Basically, rsync will normally check file metadata and not try to copy stuff if it hasn't changed. If the metadata has changed, it will then compare MD5 sums or whatever of chunks of the file to identify which bits have changed. That way, if you have a 2Gb file and change one record, rsync will find the changed block and send just that, without having to copy the entire file.

If you can find something like that, it'll give you far shorter network backup times.

(Combined with DBPAUSE/DBRESUME, it might well give you zero backup downtime as seen by the users.)

Cheers,
Wol

Sent from my iPad