From: Dennis Bartlett <dqbartl...@gmail.com>
To: U2 Users List <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Mon, Jan 6, 2014 10:02 pm
Subject: Re: [U2] Logging program execution in Unidata?

Ian
Perhaps your answer lies in a combo - rather than looking at the actual
code you have, why not focus on what calls it: This will minimise what
changes are needed.

MENU: you say you don't have code for the menu system - but you do have
access to the VOC, so why not do the R pointer thing on the VOC entries of
the menu stuff. A little research could get the main 'calling' routine, and
maybe something like uniVerse's @PARASENTENCE might tell you what was
called.

FILES USED: Files can have triggers applied that simply 'touch' a file at
o/s level - file being named of file:date:time:seq:action. The resultant ls
will tell you what files were read/written and when.

TCL: As for the ops staff dropping to TCL, you could write a pseudo TCL
that has all the commands, but logs their use. I've seen this done
successfully in situations where some staff are limited in what they can
do. Most folk don't even realise they're at a pseudo level.

CRON: As for the cron items, what about R pointer'ing the PHANTOM verb
(dunno if that's possible!) - then you could trap what's being launched
each time. Alternatively, stepping outside of the UniData environment you
could apply svn to the &PH& file, which would give you date / time evidence
of calls to launch (the advantage is that it has tools designed for
analysis)

JAVA ETC: Java etc calls can be logged outside of UniData.