If you are trying to use ED or AE in Universe or Unidata these are line by
line editors.   If someone is new to U2 then this is a bad move to try and
teach them something so archaic.

Move into the modern ages using Eclipse IDE from either Rocket Software or
U2logic.  Rocket Software offering is called BDT.  U2logic's offering is
called XLr8Editor.  The both have many more positives than negatives.  If
you have used something like Visual Studio or similar tools then your
learning curve will be quite small.

Regards,
Doug
www.u2logic.com/tools.html
"The only Eclipse editor with continuous compile technology"