From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Robert
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:28 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] Read yourself

I saw on one PICK system, a precompiler language. It was the same as
PICK/BASIC, but had a preprocessor to it.

So, for example to get the user number on a Universe system you would use
USER.NO=@USER.NO

On a PICK system, it would be USER.NO=OCONV(0,'U50BB')

Rather than write it into the program to check what system it is on (since
sometimes it could be different functions or statements used that never even
compile), then would do something like:

USER.NO=%GET USERNO%

The precompiler would look at the control table and translate the '%GET
USERNO%' to the appropriate statement, then compile.

I've seen software that was so generic it would run on any version of
Multivalue system and sometimes even non-Multivalue systems.

Robert Norman

ROBERT NORMAN AND ASSOCIATES
23441 Golden Springs Dr., #289, Diamond Bar, CA 91765
(323) 285-7272, (951) 541-1668
i...@keyway.net
http://universe-basic-programming.webstarts.com/index.html
http://users.keyway.net/~ice/
http://www.affordablemultivalueprogramming.i8.com/
Computer programming & software development in Universe BASIC for Rocket
Universe, in PICK/BASIC for Rocket D3, in UNIBASIC for Rocket Unidata, in
R/BASIC (REVELATION BASIC) for REVELATION TECHOLOGIES REVELATION, in JBASIC
(JBC or JBASE BASIC) for TEMENOS JBASE, in DATA/BASIC for Northgate REALITY, in
MV BASIC (Multivalue Basic) for Intersystems Cache Multivalue, and QMBASIC for
Ladybridge OPENQM (QM).