You could definitely do that.  I wrote a utility nearly 20 years ago that still
does something similar to all our BPs on a weekly basis.  We were about to
convert from Ulitimate to UV in '96 and needed to avoid wasting time modifying
programs that weren't being used.  I needed something to log every program's
recent execution times by program name.  The utility goes through all the BPs
and makes sure there's a call to a subroutine named TRACKER at the beginning
that passes the program's name as an argument.  It also makes sure that if the
call is already there, it is referencing the correct program name, insuring a
copied program will log itself correctly.  Here's the section of code that
installs the call:

0058:         IF ADD OR RPLC THEN
0059:           LINE = "CALL TRACKER('":PROG.NO:"')"
0060:           IF ADD THEN
0061:             INS LINE BEFORE ITEM.BP<LINE.NO>
0062:           END ELSE
0063:             ITEM.BP<LINE.NO> = LINE
0064:           END
0065:           WRITE ITEM.BP ON FILE.BP, PROG.NO
0066:           RECOMPILE.LIST<-1> = PROG.NO
0067:         END

The TRACKER subroutine logs the 40 most recent executions both by program and
by user.

-John