On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 11:12, George Gallen wrote:
> in rethinking my take on that. That would still be difficult
> since the arrays would only contain "parts" of the whole fields.
> making the searching of the arrays very difficult.

ah, then you can't use grep or INDEX on the unparsed line - you have to
parse the line into records first.  some kind of unique key (phone
number?) would be helpful, but you could always have an exclude file
keyed on last name, with an MV list of zip codes:

MCGOWAN
94111]94598]40210

and exclude them in your program:

LOOP
    GOSUB READ.NEXT.LINE
    IF DONE THEN EXIT
    GOSUB PARSE.LINE
    NAME=REC<2>
    ZIP=REC<23>
    READ EXCLUDE.ZIPS FROM EXCLUDE.FILE, NAME THEN
        LOCATE ZIP IN EXCLUDE.ZIPS<1> SETTING POS THEN CONTINUE
    END
    ... MORE PROCESSING ...
REPEAT

--