From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Ian McGowan
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 5:54 PM
To: U2 Users Discussion List
Subject: RE: looking for faster Ideas...

http://aspell.sourceforge.net/metaphone/metaphone.basic

soundex is pathetic - nowadays, metaphone is much better.

if you're feeling perl'ish

http://www.foo.be/docs/tpj/issues/vol5_3/tpj0503-0009.html

has an interesting discussion of using several approximate methods for
identifying records by name.  it even discusses the betty/elizabeth,
jack/john problem...  looks slow so you would probably have to cache the
results. c'mon there must be *something* unique in the file they send!
:-)

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 14:32, George Gallen wrote:
> I thought of that, but soundex only works on the first three letters, if
> I remember correctly.
> or it only encodes the first three letters, then remaining are
> unchanged.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other
than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of this electronic mail or
its contents by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately
by reply e-mail so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the
original message. Thank you.