"Jef Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> While I have seen the aversion to MS products on this list, I do like
> the way Outlook allows me to sort by subject then by received
> date/time.  It is "smart enough" to handle the replies as part of a
> subject flow.

That doesn't change the fact that Mocrslops refusal to follow established
standards make it nearly impossible for their *experienced* to follow those
same standards. Add millions of new users every month and Micro$lop has
managed to totally destroy the standard. That leads to the mentioned
"aversion."

> Usually most of the threads are in blocks in the intray.  I don't know
> if other products allow this.

There are many email and newsreaders that have allowed threading for much
longer than OE. Some do it much better. Of course, when OE comes free on
every desktop more and more of the alternatives are going away. More
reason for the adversion....

> The sorting does go astray when someone changes the subject - so
> please restrain yourselves.

But what do we do when the thread a) goes *totally* off-topic or b) changes
to a new subject? Convention has always been that the subject should
reflect the content, and that there should be a way for the reader to
filter out the OT messages. As much as I would like to see you be able to
use OE to the fullest, it is more important to me that I follow 20 year old
established conventions.

> My 2¢

My 2¢ would be that even more important than posting your response directly
after the text you are replying to would be to remove extra text. Because
you failed to do that those that read the digest will be forced to wade
through Ray's post all over again. While it was a high quality post, full
of vim and vigor, one reading should be enough for the slowest of us. I
don't really care whether you follow the convention or not, but please,
*please*, **please**, trim your posts so the digesters can get the full
value from the list!

--
~ kevin zollinger