I use the same technique for starting D3, mvBASE, IIS, and other services
form desktop shortcuts.  Stopping services with a "kill um all, let God sort
um out" macro like this can be problematic, it really depends on the
service, but it's a nice way to free resources.  You may see the command
window flash as a BAT is executed, but if something is wrong you won't be
able to catch the errors.

Depending on how thorough you want to be, I recommend writing more code so
that your U2 systems update a Windows file when they boot and shutdown.  You
can then use a script (WSH) from your BAT which verifies the status before
termination, maybe with a pause if the status is unexpected - like if users
are still logged-in or some other processes are running.

HTH,
Tony