I prefer Gnome myself. I like the dash, being able to add items to my favorites and the top bar to get to settings and things. That being said, I run Mate on my netbook since the interface is simpler and a bit less CPU and memory intensive. Mate also has the same look and feel as the old Gnome 2 interface, so if you're used to that, then you might prefer Mate. I'd suggest installing Vinux 5 and playing with Gnome, Mate and Unity. Once you decide which you like, you can just stick with it or install that flavor of Ubuntu.