There is more than one way you can to this, but basically you either make a
link to a .desktop file, the files used to launch graphical applications, or
copy the file it self from /usr/share/applications to your desktop.
You can even sym link directly to an executable.
I think what Kendell was saying was that you can't easily customize gnome's top
bar, although there are a few things availble to add I think.
There is a lot that can not be customized with gnome however, and that is
certainly one of its weaknesses.
Putting icons on the deskto pis not an issue however.
The thing is, people probalby miss the old menu item that gave you a couple of
fields to fill in to put a launcher on the deaktop or panel of your
choice.
Also, in gnome you cn't go adding panels like you can in mate, or xfce. Too bad
xfce panels are not accessible.
I think it's a bit better than maate for sighted folk, and would be for us if
those panels would start talking...lol

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886