On Thu, 2017-06-08 at 21:06 -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> remmina was recently removed from the soon-to-be-released Debian 9
> "Stretch". [1]

This is terrible.  I use Remmina every single day, even at the old
broken 1.x version.

I don't care much personally about desktop sharing for other Linux
systems; if I need to log into them I use ssh or I use remote DISPLAY in
X [1].

However, Remmina also supports RDP to access other systems such as MacOS
and Windows and I desperately need that support (especially Windows as
it doesn't typically run an SSH server, but some things are hard to do
via the command line on MacOS so that's useful as well).

What is the recommended option for that support in Ubuntu?  Vinagre
hasn't been updated since GNOME 3.2 or so.  Gnome-rdp hasn't been
updated since 2013.

> Frankly, remmina has not been that well-maintained recently. See the
> Debian bug.

As others have pointed out, the solution to that is to convince Debian
to get its act together.  Their solution is ridiculous: because one
plugin reportedly no longer works with the newer version (I see NX
support is listed on the Remmina website so I'm not sure why that
appears to be a problem for Debian) the better choice is to remove the
entire package, so now we have no access to ANY protocol?

> GNOME on Wayland does not currently support remote desktop sharing.
> The GNOME developers would like to have a remote desktop replacement
> (similar to how Night Light provided redshift-like features on GNOME
> on Wayland) but I don't think that's gotten very far yet. [2] When it
> is implemented, it will be done "natively" so it won't need vino.

[1] The fact that we are willing to switch to Wayland before this issue
has been fully addressed is a failure on the part of Ubuntu.  Ubuntu
needs to use its influence for good here, and convince Wayland to focus
on achieving parity with X ASAP so that it can actually be a viable
replacement before it can be used on Ubuntu.

However, this has nothing to do with Remmina as I've mentioned above.