On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 08:35 -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> > [1] The fact that we are willing to switch to Wayland before this issue
> > has been fully addressed is a failure on the part of Ubuntu.  Ubuntu
> > needs to use its influence for good here, and convince Wayland to focus
> > on achieving parity with X ASAP so that it can actually be a viable
> > replacement before it can be used on Ubuntu.
>
> This needs to happen in GNOME on Wayland, not Wayland generally. The
> GNOME developers are already well aware that remote desktop sharing is
> a useful and important feature. There's a lot of work to be done
> everywhere and there are not enough workers to get everything done
> immediately.

Agreed.  Also "desktop sharing" could be either "full-screen sharing" or
"per-app sharing".  My opinion is the latter is more important.

That's my point: Ubuntu should not switch until GNOME on Wayland can
provide equivalent functionality.  For whatever reason, they're not
there yet.

It's not anyone's fault: it's unquestionably a lot of work.  But just
because it's no one's fault that the features aren't there doesn't mean
Ubuntu should switch before they are.

Being clear about which features are missing could help focus attention
on those areas, but if it doesn't, it doesn't.  That's OK too.

Cheers!