Sorry about the delays on this, and sorry for missing the meeting, I am
actually on road tonight, and misjudged what part of the road would have
internet. Epub is actually finished and just uploaded it here until we
can move it to a PPA.

http://s.eyluldogruel.com/ubuntustudio/Ubuntu%20Studio%20Audio%20Handbook%20-%20Peter%20Reppert.epub

There was a lot of manual translation of markdown to html, and
formatting of last 2-3 chapters, so it might be best to have a second
set of eyes to check it to make sure nothing got garbled. As for pdf,
please go ahead. My plan was at this stage, converting the epub to docx
to open it in libreoffice and fix issues that way, but working from the
original odt can also be a solution. I am actually traveling this week,
so will have limited time, so if someone has the chance to go ahead and
get the pdf done before I get to it, feel free to. :)

I'd say mypaint and the pikopixel are 2 separate programs for very
separate usecases. MyPaint (despite the name) has nothing to do with
pixelart, and is a more lightweight and sketching oriented alternative
to Krita. :) As I said on chat I think it is a great idea to add it to
ubuntustudio. As for mypaint, not sure there is much we can do on short
term except removing it and keeping an eye on when it gets updated on
debian repos.

Best

Eylul


On 11-08-2018 23:01, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
> Well, the decision was made to cancel this meeting. Since Len and I will be 
> very busy for the next couple weeks, we decided it would be a good idea to 
> cancel and have me do the write-up of our progress.
>
> === Package Uploads ===
>
> So, Ross marked ubuntustudio-controls as Fix Committed, and we're waiting on 
> a 
> sponsor to get that uploaded. I might ping someone in #ubuntu-motu to see if 
> someone wouldn't mind taking a look at it.
>
> This brings up the other issue of nobody on the team really being a MOTU and 
> that being a major barrier. So, I will be working on my Ubuntu membership and 
> MOTU applications sooner rather than later. For Ubuntu membership, they like 
> to see at least 6 months of sustained participation, so with me at 4-5, that 
> might be a factor. I'll work with Simon (tsimonq2) as he's on the membership 
> board.
>
> === Audio Handbook ===
>
> As far as I know, Eylul is still working on the epub and PDF forms of the 
> handbook. Eylul: Is there any way we could release the PDF now while you work 
> on the epub?
>
> === ubuntustudio-plasma ===
>
> I'm going to take-on some of this. I need to fix a file in the package, do 
> some building for myself, and then see where it leads. In the meantime, it 
> has 
> become a higher priority due to the GTK developers causing breakage in all 
> desktops that are not GNOME without any remorse (see https://lists.ubuntu.com/
> archives/ubuntu-desktop/2018-August/005402.html).  This has been a known 
> problem for Xubuntu in the past and is a problem for Ubuntu Budgie, but Solus 
> (upstream developers of Budgie) are aware of the problem and are working on a 
> fix.
>
> Unfortunately, this definitely a sign of things to come, and definitely a 
> hindrance to Xfce's move to GTK3. It has made our addition of Plasma much 
> more 
> apt than ever. Right now, if Xfce breaks, Xubuntu breaks. Since Studio is so 
> fragile right now, if Xubuntu breaks, Studio could very well die. I don't 
> want 
> to see that happen, and I know neither does anybody in this mailing list.
>
> With this, Plasma becomes a bit more of a priority. I'll do what I can to 
> work 
> with Simon on getting it seeded.
>
> === Website ===
>
> I have yet to email Eylul the Launchpad GIT upload rundown.
>
> I have initiated very early talks with Noah Chelliah on moving from 
> Canonical's hosting to his hosting at Altispeed. Noah is the president of 
> Altispeed and a personal friend of mine. Simon is his operations director, so 
> we have a couple of ins with that. This would potentially give us much more 
> control and the ability to move away from the security nightmare that is 
> Wordpress.
>
> === Packaging ===
>  
> Carla is still a work-in-progress as the wine bridges have become a pain. 
> Might have to postpone Carla from being included in 18.10, but either way 
> it's 
> a lower priority.
>
> Cadence, on the other hand, I feel is ready for upload. I was working with 
> Mathieu Trudel (cyphermox) on this, but I have yet to hear back from him. My 
> reasoning for prioritizing Cadence over Carla is that Cadence includes Catia, 
> which could replace the dead Patchage package.  Catia can be installed 
> separately from Cadence, so we could include it in our seeds 
>
> On the side, I've been working with the Calf developers who have released 
> 0.90.1. 0.90.0 was released back in November (major release, up from 0.60.5), 
> but .1 contains some bug fixes to keep Ardour from crashing. I was working 
> with cyphermox on that, but it really needs to go upstream into Debian since 
> that's where the package is drawn from anyhow.
>
> I also intend to start further work on ubuntustudio-welcome and ubuntustudio-
> boutique.
>
> === Wallpaper Contest ===
>
> It's live at https://imgur.com/t/ubustucontest1810.
>
> === Password Sharing ===
>
> A solution was found by creating a private git repo for the Ubuntu Studio 
> Core 
> team.
>
> == New Items ==
>
> === PikoPixel ===
>
> The upstream developer of PikoPixel came to us to see if it could be included 
> in the Ubuntu Studio seed. After a bit of research and with Eylul's input, I 
> believe it would be a great addition, but it brought up another topic.
>
> MyPaint still lags behind developmentally. When Gimp 2.10 hit Cosmic, we had 
> to drop MyPaint so that our iso builds would... build. This is due to the 
> conflict between libmypaint 1.3 (dependency of Gimp) and MyPaint 1.2. I 
> propose that we leave MyPaint out since much of its functionality is 
> duplicated with Krita, which sees much more active development. This makes 
> room for PikoPixel.
>
> The proposal is this: include PikoPixel, and permanently drop MyPaint from 
> the 
> iso.
>
> I'd like to see some feedback, and by the next meeting I'd like to vote on 
> this.
>
>
> So, that's what I've got. If anybody wants to include anything, feel free to 
> reply to this thread. Our next meeting is scheduled for August 25th at 1900 
> UTC in #ubuntustudio-devel.
>
> Thanks everyone!
> Erich
>
>
>
> On Saturday, August 11, 2018 9:01:46 AM PDT Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
>> Can you believe our next meeting is already today?
>>
>> Anyhow, here's the agenda:
>>
>> === Progress Reports ===
>>
>>  * Ross did a bunch of work to get some of our packages uploaded to Cosmic
>>  * ubuntustudio-plasma
>>  * Audio Hadnbook epub & PDF
>>  * Website
>>  * Packaging
>>   * Carla: still in progress
>>   * Cadence: need status from cyphermox
>>   * Calf: need status from cyphermox
>>  * Wallpaper Contest
>>  * Password Sharing
>>   * Private github repo created for core team members for social media
>> passwords, etc.
>>
>> === New Items ===
>>
>>  * Discuss possible inclusion of pikopixel in seed, vote
>>  * Discuss permanently dropping MyPaint in favor of Krita (already included,
>> same functionality as MyPaint, better support and development cadence)
>
>

-- 
ubuntu-studio-devel mailing list
ubuntu-studio-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-devel

Reply via email to