On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 1:23 AM, Ralf <ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> The wild enthusiasm when using XFCE IMO quickly will switch to
> disillusion. You should stay at GNOME.
>
> Anyway, XFCE is a good choice compared with similar light weighted
> environments, such as e.g. e17.
>
> What are the reasons to switch the WM/DE?
>
> There's a win for the performance etc. when using Ion, a frame based
> environment, but that causes issues regarding to windows opened by some
> apps. There's no noticeable win when using Fluxbox, e17, XFCE etc., but
> a lot of PITA.
>
> IMO GNOME is the best choice for a DAW.
> >
> 2 Cents,

> Ralf
>
> ralf, are you talking about gnome3? gnome2 will not be disappearing from
the repos anytime soon, and gnome3 will surely be in the default ubuntu
repos as long as it is actively developed. the reason for the change is just
that. gnome2 is not being actively developed anymore, and we (the
ubuntustudio team) dont really have the kind of resources to take on
something like that. i think some of what led us to XFCE is that it is
gnome2-like (more so than gnome3 or unity). do you feel gnome3 is the best
choice for a DAW?

MH

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/
http://wnclug.ourproject.org/