On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Ivan Mincik <ivan.min...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Alan, at first thank You for Your work (and also for work of others
> in this project). I am following UbuntuGIS for some time and I started to
> maintain my own PPA fork [1] some time ago, because I needed full control
> of packages. I am little bit involved in packaging. Here is my opinion:
>
> 1. This project definitely needs a strong leader with experience.
>
> 2. UbuntuGIS lacks clear roadmap. Maybe it is loosing skilled hands just
> because they are not aware about fact they are needed. Preparing roadmap
> must by one of the most important tasks of project leader and PSC.
>
> 3. Other very important task is clearly stated work flow in terms how to
> cooperate with Debian on regular basis.
>
> 4. Still at least by my opinion, the PPA naming  stable, testing, unstable
> is very confusing for all newcomers which automatically expect the same
> behavior as in Debian. If this schema remains the same, or it will change
> to something other, it needs clearly documented workflow how packages
> migrates from testing, staging to production and how often and under which
> circumstances production packages are upgraded.
>
> 5. As in other voluntary projects, there is a lack of manpower. But on the
> other hand, there are no rules which new contributors or uploaders must
> meet. Also I do not see any list of free tasks for new people.
>
> 6. The last one is the question if there is some possibility to get some
> support from OSGeo [2] ?

Ivan,

The most obvious way in which OSGeo could show support is by having
UbuntuGIS apply for incubation as an OSGeo project.  Having a PSC is one
step on the way to being a full fledged OSGeo project.

There is also some possibility of financial support from OSGeo for
UbuntuGIS but at the very least there would need to be a clear plan before
any financial commitment might be made (IMHO).

Best regards,