On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Ivan Mincik <ivan.min...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Some time ago I was pointed by somebody to that wiki page about 'OSGeo
> Binary Distributions'. I have realized that until now there is no official,
> up-to-date and well maintained GIS packages distribution for Linux which
> OSGeo can recommend as the number one. I really appreciate very much the
> work of Debian|Ubuntu GIS people, but it is still only very good voluntary.
> To be successful in enterprise deployment one needs predictable and stable
> maintenance of packages, something similar as 'OpenGeo Suite' is. Isn't
> that one of the goals of OSGeo ? What if UbuntuGIS would be that official
> packages distribution for OSGeo ? As Frank said, it is even possible to get
> some financial support once the project is accepted in to incubator. I
> think that there should be much more other benefits to exist under trusted
> organization.

Ivan,

I'm not convinced I accept your premise, but even if one does accept the
premise then folks have options including professional support contracts.

I do think that bringing more energy to DebianGIS and UbuntuGIS with an eye
towards stability and predictability would be valuable.  But I don't accept
that a volunteer effort is inadequate to the needs of enterprise
deployment.

Best regards,