On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Frank Warmerdam <warmer...@pobox.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Ivan Mincik <ivan.min...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Some time ago I was pointed by somebody to that wiki page about 'OSGeo
>> Binary Distributions'. I have realized that until now there is no official,
>> up-to-date and well maintained GIS packages distribution for Linux which
>> OSGeo can recommend as the number one. I really appreciate very much the
>> work of Debian|Ubuntu GIS people, but it is still only very good voluntary.
>> To be successful in enterprise deployment one needs predictable and stable
>> maintenance of packages, something similar as 'OpenGeo Suite' is. Isn't
>> that one of the goals of OSGeo ? What if UbuntuGIS would be that official
>> packages distribution for OSGeo ? As Frank said, it is even possible to get
>> some financial support once the project is accepted in to incubator. I
>> think that there should be much more other benefits to exist under trusted
>> organization.
>>

> Ivan,
>
> I'm not convinced I accept your premise, but even if one does accept the
> premise then folks have options including professional support contracts.
>
> I do think that bringing more energy to DebianGIS and UbuntuGIS with an
> eye towards stability and predictability would be valuable.  But I don't
> accept that a volunteer effort is inadequate to the needs of enterprise
> deployment.
>
> Thanks for response, I was really scared of consequences when I was
writing that sentence about volunteer work. I really admire the work of all
folks here, but I have also the experience from my company where we use
Open Source software for 99 percent of our systems. I wanted just say that
in every volunteer work there are cases where passion of volunteer and the
need of enterprise customer doesn't meet. And in that case some small help
(financial or non-financial) from bigger partner can move things and can be
very helpful also for volunteer.

Ivan