I have now played a 5 player, 4 player, and 3 player game of Le Havre.   We
finished the three player game in 2.5 hours although the time flew by and it
felt more like 90 minutes.  I am glad I gave this game another chance after
being somewhat soured by the five player game.   I would certainly play a
four or five player game again but my mindset would be different knowing to
expect to be playing for a good 3-4 hours.

The game seems perfectly tailored for three players.  Each player gets 2-3
turns per round and the food demands per round really encourage you to buy
or build a ship early.  In the five player game, the low food requirement
seemed more like a minor nuisance than an integral part of the game.