USM Bish wrote:
> Distros is NOT Linux. I am a Linux user for a decade, and as of now,
> I am on LFS with everything compiled from scratch. Freedom from
> all distros, and everything runs, no conflicts ...
> Distros is a different issue altogether. These are  merely  compilations of
> user space software on distro preferred init systems and layout.
Distros, IMHO, do a lot more that compile a few user space software for you.

I would prefer not to have to compile every tool/thing that I want to
use. IMHO, there are better ways to spend my time. :)

Just my take. I am sure each one has his/her own preference.

> This is a non-issue for most people, except for folk who want to market
> binary-only software, and want them to run everywhere. I strongly feel
> that there is  NO need for 'standardisation' out here, which essentially
> caters
> for closed-source interests.  Sources, if distributed can be compiled to
> run from anywhere.
Maybe I am missing the context. But without standards, you would find it
difficult to compile the sources to run from anywhere.

I don't think this is a non issue at all. And I don't see sysadmins hand
compiling everything from the scratch, and doing that everytime there is
a patch released...

Regards,
Manoj

--
Disclaimer: What is stated is my personal opinion. :)