On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 07:28:58PM +0530, Manoj Joseph wrote:

> > Distros is a different  issue altogether. These are merely
> > compilations of  user space  software on  distro preferred
> > init systems and layout.
>
> Distros, IMHO,  do a lot more that compile  a few user space
> software for you.

The other things are also annotated above, but in brief.

> Maybe I am  missing the context. But  without standards, you
> would find it  difficult to compile the sources  to run from
> anywhere.

The standards are in context  of the push by openstandards.org
kind of  thing, where standardisation  is sought at  the upper
most layers of application locations. At core level things are
quite  standardised as  it  is with  minor variations  between
various implimentations  of *nix. As regards  compilations, if
one knows how to set up ld.so.conf (or the library switches of
the compiler  directly) anything  will compile  from anywhere.
That is actually how all  systems are built from the toolchain
before the chrooted first boot into the nascent system.

> I don't think  this is a non  issue at all. And  I don't see
> sysadmins hand  compiling everything  from the  scratch, and
> doing that everytime there is a patch released...

This  is   correct.  For   production  systems   stability  is
paramount. Very few  do a binary upgrade  too with frequencies
seen  with  desktops.  Changes  are  made  very  slowly  where
necessary (unless it is a security issue) mandated by changing
requirements, and certainly not for  every patch. Till about 2
months back  sourceforge.net was on kernel  2.4.xx, mine still
is :-(  An update is coming  though ... but slowly, with every
component thoroughly tried and tested ...

Bish