On 22/05/2020 14:23, Paul Bone wrote:
>I am tempted to argue that  anybody without a public IP is not actually
>being given Internet access but mediated Internet "connection".
>
>So rather than deprecating IPv4 which I don't think is workable. Then
>"Internet access" should be sold as a separate product offer to Internet
>"connection".

Personally, I feel this is just semantics - whether you call it a connection or access, it still does the same thing - gives people access to resources on the internet. And I would also suggest that the vast majority of users (even more so with cloud services becoming more and more prevalent), the actual method used for access can be particularly irrelevant as long as the service is visible to the user.

You completely miss the point.

Internet access is about access from the Internet to the people as well. Internet connection is the bit that gives people access to resources on the Internet.

I've tested several CPE whose call home to mama configuration scripts get blackholed - particularly on mobile networks.

I am currently building a new network for a small ISP and we are going to be running IPv6 only services with DNS64/NAT64 as much as possible, but at this stage we still do require some public IPv4 for business with on-prem solutions.

That's worth discussion - maybe at RIPE NCC?

The original IPv6 transition required loads of v4 as you probably know well but by 2008 it was clear that was  not going to be possible so IETF had a rethink on transition. That's when the NAT wars turned into CGNAT horror.

Google are already offering public DNS64 so it should not be that difficult for ISPs to implement IPv6 only services going forwards - particularly (as Paul Mansfield pointed out) many ISPs are already offering dual-stack solutions.

dependency alert? How will that work out?

Going IPv6 only forces the end users to move to IPv6 which appears to be the biggest hurdle to overcome. And whilst some on here seem to think that ridiculing peoples opinions and suggestions is acceptable, I think that Paul (Mansfield) has made a valid suggestion that deserves to be discussed in an adult manner.

yup.