Hi,

> > - Update the updates scripts for Windows 2000 and 2003.
> I am not able to update those as I do not use those systems. Plus, you
> have not a clue how much time take to update the security patch. I need
> a volunter (you?) for that.
If you guide me through the process or can tell me what and how to do it i
might be able to have a look at the Windows 2000 Updates at least.

> > - Update the updates scripts for Windows XP (see the list below).
> I will review this list later this weekend, but Some updates are not
> possible for me to update because I use a script under linux to update
> all the languages and some patches ask for a certification of genuine
> windows system.
Hmmm, ok. If you can't make a list of languages for any updates in the list,
let the mailing list know. I'm sure ppl will help out.

> > - Add a new optional parameter in unattended.txt's [_meta] section to
> > disable the drivers scan script.
> If you do not want to detect drivers do not put any under
> <unattended>/install/drivers
The problem here is that I do want to detect drivers for 99% of the machines
but there's always that 1% I dont want to install drivers on, and be it for
testing only. Having to clear out the entire drivers directory and updating the
drivers cache file seems like a much more bothersome task than simply adding a
new variable to unattended.txt.
Though, if you insist I think i can make do with some private scripting in
config.pl.

> > - Obfuscate the Windows serial (ProductID and ProductKey) in unattended.txt
> Open a bug on the trac system for this. Someone could have a look.
Opened a bug and also posted the solution. ->
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/unattended/ticket/13
Sadly the stupid sourceforge system loves to mess with the plain text and adds
stupid unneccassary stuff.

The change required is in install/bin/hidepw.pl
-map { s/^(.*Password\s*)=.*$/$1=xxxxxxxx/i; } @lines;
+map { s/^(.*(ProductID|ProductKey|Password)\s*)=.*$/$1=xxxxxxxx/i; } @lines;

> > - The file "packages/mediaplayer9/deu/mpsetup.exe" cannot be downloaded.
> no one is updating windows2000 security patch. Please provide new url
> and I will patch it.
The problem here is that there appears to be no german installer for Media
Player 9 anymore. Or at least I can't find it.

> > - Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
> well... I am not sure if this can be installed unattended...
As written in my original mail, this update can probably be ignored.

> > - Internet Explorer 8 für Windows XP
> > - Windows Media Player 11
> I personally feel that ie7, ie8 and media player should be optional. I
> would like include this for all the machines:
I only wrote them down for completness' sake. I did write that these can be
ignored too.

> > - Windows Search 4.0 für Windows XP (KB940157)
> ¿?¿?¿?¿?¿? is this a core funcionality?
Its some stupid update that is pretty damn annoying if you ask me. It really
shouldn't be included in unattended and was also only mentioned for
completness' sake.

> > - Update für die Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1- und .NET
> > Framework 3.5-Produktfamilie (KB951847) x86
> you have it on dotnet.bat
Hm, thats possible. I forgot to include the whole dotnet.bat during my testing.

> > Would be nice if at least all the critical updates could be integrated into
> > unattended so the clients don't have to install that many updates right
> > from the start through Windows Update.
> do you really that this is a tedius task?
>From my understanding unattended should install as much as possible and not
>depend too much on external services. Imagine a situation where the network is
>disconnected from the internet (with the effect that Windows Update cannot
>run) and the files on the server are updated by copying the needed files from
>a cd. In this case unattended would be the only way to supply the clients with
>all the Windows Updates needed.
And is it really that much of a problem to include the missing updates?

-
jens