Hi Clint,

On 11/10/2016 08:42 PM, Jeffery, Clint (jeffe...@uidaho.edu) wrote:
> Your program issuing a resize request for every resize event seems to be
> tickling a pathology of some sort. If you start
> dragging real slow, it seems to work (at least on my machine) but then goes
> bonkers. Its an infinite loop, since
> Pending() never fails.  But my sense is that after it falls behind a certain
> amount, resize events and resize requests
> form their own feedback loop. It is either that or some kind of competition
> between the window system and the
> application, as to who is processing input events, and which window retains
> the focus. It is like: we are having to
> repaint the window so many times, the window system isn't able to continue
> the drag/resize operation at speed any more.

Interestingly enough, I can't reproduce the behavior you get running on my
machine.  See my response to Bruce for the
behavior I see.  I take it from what you describe that there's not a single
thread for executing window actions so they
are forced to execute sequentially

> Feel free to contribute improvements to the C code for handling window
> resizes. It tries pretty hard to do things like
> suppress adjacent resizes to avoid falling behind, but maybe your explicitly
> resizing in the middle of that defeats the
> code that is there.

I have a feeling that this is non-trivial, as I expect it does mean rewriting
the window code so low-level window
actions are performed sequentially.  Given that I haven't written any
meaningful C code in over 25 years, I'm pretty
sure I'm the wrong person to tackle this!

Incidentally, I've modified the original code (named by the author as
'rosetta_clock.icn' as he wrote it for
the RosettaCode site) to get around the problem I was having.  After resizing,
if the window isn't square, then
a simple mouse click in the window will square it up.

-Steve
--
Steve Wampler -- swamp...@noao.edu