Melani,

This post may be your most twisted perspective on reality, yet.

IMHO, John Fry and Judy Rodin managed our neighborhood as if it were an 8
second Bull-ride.
Life was a Quid Pro Quo Caberet and rule by the aesthetically fussy (with
or without mitigating competence) was endorsed.
Flackettes and Flackers were paid to write unfavorable comparisons to the
'bad old days'.

Sad (and bad) neighborhood news was cherry picked, exaggerated and than
the hyperbole highlighted until fear and false economies won PENN the
Civic Center Properties and Schuylkill Lands as values plummeted area
wide.  Once PENN had gathered all the land they could manage through
years of future development, PENN realized that the collateral damage to
the neighborhood was harming their admissions statistics and began a
drive to jump-start logical improvements.  By granting (only their own
employees) seed money they helped many long term neighbors leave.  The
investments totalled an average of 5% of the improvements while Buyers
(Penn only need apply) and Lenders carried responsibilities for the
balance.

Even though we (West Philly) started this century as the POSH side of
Schuylkill living, and still have the better built houses, more genteel
space, more convenient conveniences and the Lion's share of art,
cultural, educational and employment opportunities, we are still valued
beneath inferior CC properties.  I suspect the PENN spin, which is
cumulatively negative, has something to do with that.

The latest UCD fund Raising letter continues the theme.
I don't have it in front of me, but a paragraph about the slum we were
"just ten years ago" resonates in a rage inducing way.
Those of us who grew up at on blocks where Town meets Gown, get tired of
Gown's supercilious low points.

A counter reality is how many people truly love this neighborhood and
their homes.
Folks try hard to stay in their houses even after age or disability make
moving on a logical choice.
I do not see the churning of properties that is apparent down town.

Well enough rant,
Let other voices battle the merits of our wildly different opinions on
this matter,
TTFN

Liz