Thanks for the reply and explanation of disc size.  Meanwhile, I keep
hitting buffers.  Using -umount /dev/sda1- got the response -umount: /:
device is busy-.

I looked around the internet and found the commands -fuser –u
/dev/sdb1- and then -fuser –k /dev/sdb1- which each returned the root
prompt.  I then tried -umount /dev/sda1- again and got the same
response -umount: /: device is busy-.

I then tried -fuser –m /dev/sdb1- which returned over 50 items.  I then
tried -fuser –k /dev/sdb1- again and got the root prompt.  I then tried
-umount /dev/sda1- again and got the same -response umount: /: device
is busy-.

Out of desperation I tried -fuser –km /- and managed to kill the whole
box.

I rebooted and got my original disc layout (i.e. hda1 (CF) as /boot,
sda1 as /mnt/Drive1 and sdb1 as /).  After more internet digging I
tried -umount –l /dev/sdb1- and got the response -could not stat
/dev/sdb1 - - - No such file or directory.  The device apparently does
not exist; did you specify it correctly?-  I then tried -fdisk
/dev/sdb1- and got the response -Unable to open dev/sdb1-.

I then logged on to the console and saw 4 mounted items, all with
identical free (854Gb), used (1.29Gb) and size (902Gb) – a total size
of 3.6Tb which is plainly wrong given I have a 12Mb CF and two 1Tb
HDDs.  The mounts were:
/boot - /dev/hda1
/mnt/Drive1 – dev/sda1
/ - dev/sdb1
/sys – sysfs

The console then froze.  CTL-ALT-DEL did nothing, so I had to do a hard
reboot.  The hardware report then gave:
/boot - /dev/hda1
/mnt/Drive1 - /dev/sda1
/ - /dev/sdb1

I have run out of internet searches and guesses.  Any hints on how to
get sdb1 to unmount, please?

--
Shellness