w1ntermute wrote:
> I am using a homebrew hat for the B+ containing an I2S DAC (5102-based,
> hifiberry compatible), IR-transceiver and a Mono poweramp (class-D)
> which can be switched on/off via GPIO. It all is working fine using the
> latest Raspian image, but not yet (of course) on picore.
> To make the hat fully functional, I'm using lirc as well as a patched
> version of squeezelite (for controlling the GPIO). My question is:
> Would a lirc installation on picoreplayer survive an update or will I
> have to reinstall it afterwards?
> And: is there a way to avoid replacing the squeezelite binary during a
> picore update?

Hi w1ntermute,

Until recently, piCorePlayer was only distributed as a complete SD card
image. Obviously, this method wipes everything on the SD card.

The alternative update method (insitu update) does 2 things, 1. blows
away the files in the boot partition and rewrites them with new ones,
and 2. un tars over the top of the tce directory. This second operation
may cause you grief. If your applications are proper tce extensions then
there is a good chance they will survive. If your squeezelite version is
packaged as an extension, then it may reload over the top of the
delivered squeezelite binary (I haven't tried, small chance). From
memory mydata.tgz also gets overwritten. Steen and myself are aware of
the need to allow for extra applications and are working on a structure
to make it easier.

We don't usually recommend doing picore updates as such (or picore
extension updates). How familiar are you with tinycore/picore? It's a
lot different from normal Linux distributions.

Have you played with irda-3.16.3-piCore+.tcz? Is it suitable?

BTW: I reload additional stuff via an install script or copy/sync a
directory thru WinSCP.

regards
Greg