piCorePlayer/Squeezelite is playing a stream that should be 48kHz at
44.1kHz, making it sound 'slow'.  Its a catchup programme via BBC
iPlayer app.  I wouldn't know this was the reason for the oddness I hear
except for my DAC (Cambridge Audio DACMagic) showing the incoming
frequency and via my old Touch its indicating 48kHz (and sounding
normal) and 44.1kHz via the Pi.  I've got the Pi connected via USB and
USB audio is selected as the output.

Can anything be done with settings?  Obviously if there was a way to
force output to 48kHz always it wouldn't be that useful as my ripped CDs
are encoded as 44.1kHz.