marcoc1712 wrote:

> The problem is - as you said - the concept of "Better". But If you
> translate it to "different" there is nothing wrong in your friend
> statement, converting PCM to DSD is lossy and (could) change the sound
> quality, when the DAC revert back to PCM, again is lossy. I think he is
> not a 'fool', but I'm with you and nobody could make me think it sound
> 'better'.

Yes, the problem for me is that they do not say "different", they say
"better", they say that somehow they have managed to turn lead (crappy
old PCM) into gold (DSD). Alchemy!!!!! Most of these hardcore audiophool
types are completely bonkers and they don't even understand their own
equipment, and what conversions are already taking place before they
start adding more conversions to reach their "sonic nirvana".

Marco, I might be getting very grumpy about things in my old age, and
based on my own experiences, taking part in (and organising) listening
tests, where people couldn't tell the difference between a track,
whether it came out of a flac or wav "container", or was streamed as raw
PCM........ but I'll let that go, with at least you guys are getting
bit-perfect playback of the PCM, regardless of what was used to
transport it to the "renderer", but..... this nonsense, that seems to be
the next big thing, that everything needs to converted from PCM to
DSD.....

You know, thinking back, and you can probably blame me for being the one
that was petitioning Adrian to get DSD support into squeezelite to start
with....... It was on the basis of allowing people with DSD DAC's to
play back their PS3 rips...... (At that time there wasn't the concept of
native DSD in Linux, hence the DoP support), and "wouldn't it be good to
allow everyone with any DAC to be able to play back DSD", hence the
DSD->PCM, decimate and resample, built-into squeezelite..... Anyway, I
have lost track of time..... But this must be a couple of years ago
now.... This foolery with converting everything to DSD, seems to have
started much more recently. The only use case, (I'm in grumpy old man
mode again), I see for this, is that someone has a DSD dac, native DSD,
that doesn't even accept PCM..... I know of a couple of people with
those type of DAC's, (myself included), but I'm hearing from people with
what I consider to be a world class PCM capable DAC about how converting
everything to DSD is the way forward...... Maybe they own shares in a
hard disk manufacturer...... I know of one person who has just invested
the same amount of money as a new car would cost, purchasing a storage
solution, so he can convert (offline) his complete music collection from
PCM to DSD, and store it. Oh well, each to his own!