Thanks both but absolutely nothing is working even if I try updating
squeezelite I still lose everything on restart. I tried unplugging
everything. There are two options now either to start from scratch or do
an insitu update.

there is a message saying ignoring swap partitions I see on raspberry
pi, I wonder if that has anything to do with the problem.

I am going to overwrite the memory card and start again, let me know if
you have any suggestions. I was using an older version of piCorePlayer
initially because my Raspberry pi 3 wi-fi was not working.