OK, I tried a lot and have found it's definitely got something to do
with running the LMS on a Synology NAS.
I tried fresh installs on a pi1, pi3 and piZero, wireless and wired, but
I got the same result every time. The player worked (squeezelite=OK),
but no players found in JiveLite. Then I installed pCp and LMS on a pi3
and immediately all the other pi's found the LMS and showed it in
JiveLite also.

Why this is, is still a mystery to me, but at least I narrowed it down
to the Synology. For now I will be using the pi3 as LMS.

Thank you for your help and suggestions, I really enjoy pCp and
JiveLite!

Regards,
Bart