soundcheck wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> Ts been a while.
>
> I think I brought this issue up some time a back. Don't know if there've
> been anything done in that area.
>
> I think I mentioned that I use the buffers of squeezelite as full-track
> RAM buffers.
> Something like "-b 10000:400000" would allocate a huge 400MB output
> buffer.
> There's usually plenty of RAM, even on machines like RPI, to store a
> track into that output buffer.
> The OS itself usually allocates less then 50MB.
>
> Basically all streaming and DSP work can be done at the beginning of
> playback - call it "bulk-processing".
> During playback there'd be just minor activities ongoing.
> And that's actually how it works. At 44.1/16 with flacs I experience CPU
> loads in the range of 0.3-0.7%
> after a few seconds high load in the beginning of a track.
> Without bulk-processing you usually face loads around 2-4% throughout
> the playback. Factor 5
> I'd consider plausible.
>
> Now. The issue when starting a playlist is that the end of a track is
> not recognized properly.
> squeezelite loads more then just a single track if the buffer is larger
> then the final track size.
>
> That leads to an odd behavior.
>
> E.g. the pointer for "next track" will refer to the track after the next
> track, because the next track is
> already partially processed.
>
> Do you guys think there'd be a way that squeezelite loads and/or
> processes just one track at time,
> no matter how big the output buffer and/or the playlist is?
>
> Or another - a 2nd best option - might be to not shift the "next-track"
> pointer, before a track is
> actually being played back.
>
> Can this be handled by squeezelite at all or are we looking at a LMS
> issue?
>
> Thx.

Is not a bug, is how is designed to work and is the reason why we don't
suffer by gapeless problems, among others. In my opinion it should go
over the second track, to avoid problems with shorts ones (see what I've
been working on with qobuz plugin) but the "limit"
come from  the SB firmware that could handle only 2 tracks in the
buffer, the current and the next.

BTW the pointer to next track shifts when the player 'streams outs', not
when it ends to load current track in iinput buffer.