Hi Paul and Greg,

Thank you for being so helpful and not giving up on this issue.

As for Greg's troubleshooting link and the most frequent reasons for
wifi not working:

1.Wrong password.
2.Wrong SSID.
3.piCorePlayer does not support hidden SSID.
4.piCorePlayer does not support special characters in SSID or password.
5.Wifi adapter does not support wifi channel selected on wifi router.
6.USB wifi adapter and buit-in wifi adapter both trying to run at the
same time.
7.Some audio cards interfere with Raspberry Pi built-in wifi adapters.
8.Wifi drivers are gradually changing from wext to nl80211 standard.
9.Occasionally, kernel upgrades break USB wifi drivers. Unfortunately,
we can not test all USB wifi drivers prior to each piCorePlayer release.
Please report any issue.

I have of course checked 1+2+3 many times before reporting.
Regarding 4, I do have an exclamation point (!) in my password, but I
have had that for years without any issue, so I have not considered it a
special character
5 can be ruled out as all previous versions of piCorePlayer work with
that exact configuration
6 is also not an issue as it is an old RPi 1B+ without built-in wifi
7 the audio card is a Hifiberry DAC+ which has also been part of the
configuration for years, so I find this very unlikely

so, I think we are back at 8 or 9 as plausible reasons.

Paul has sent me a PM, and I will check up on his questions tonight when
I'm home and report back to him.

I could easily go back to a previous image as I do not immediately need
any of the new features in 4.0.0, but I guess my contribution to the
development is to offer my rtrequipment for testing and reporting back
issues that might affect others.

The USB wifi adapter is a relatively cheap one using a Realtek chipset,
and I have the impression that these adapters have sold in huge numbers,
so I think the issue is relevant not to invest in troubleshooting.

Jens Erik