We are also using upstart and are quite happy with it.  But I agree,
it would be nice if it had some mechanism to allow us to describe jobs
and EXTERNAL to that, persist which jobs are preferred by the user to
be running.

I think perhaps the state of the jobs could be persisted and restored
on reboot (as an option).  If someone did a 'upstart stop-persistently
sendmail' then upstart would know to not just stop sendmail for the
time being but also know that this request is recorded for future
reboots of the system.  Likewise a 'upstart start-persistently' clause
could reverse this.

If these selections were recorded in a well-defined format, then
installers could update the file to reflect system configuration
changes without tampering with the jobs scripts themselves.  This is
much like the notion of symlinks in the /etc/rc.d/ filesystem for
various run levels (but much better since upstart handles much more
than those scripts do).

Thanks for upstart... it is a very useful engine already... and we are
hoping to help make it even better!

Charlie