You don’t have to keep your mouth shut.  In fact, you should be vocal, but you
want your tester to be more vocal.

Generalized suggestions from past experience…

- First, explain to the tester in general terms what your app does.  Avoid
getting into operating specifics.

- Tell the tester you want them to verbalize as much as possible their thought
process when encountering each screen/interaction process.  You goal is to get
a sense of what the tester is thinking and why, not just whether or not they
exhibit expected behavior (you will have to prompt the tester repeatedly to
explain their thinking without scolding or leading).

- Explain to your tester there are no right or wrong actions/answers while
using your app — you are trying to observe real world behavior and initial
no way reflects on their “intelligence”.

- Give the tester one or more planned tasks to complete.  Remind them to
describe their thinking as they attempt to complete each task.

- Each time the tester is shown a new screen/process, ask them what they think
they need to do at that point. Ask why.  Keep all requests/comments neutral,
never correct the tester.  If their response doesn’t fit with your intended
behavior, ask the tester what they would suggest to improve
interaction/outcome, or make the process more intelligible.  Avoid allowing the
tester complete too many tasks in a row without describing their thought
process.

- If the tester can’t figure out how to proceed to a next step, give them a
hint (if possible) and determine if they are able to understand the
interaction. Again, ask for suggestions on what could be improved.  Ask why.

- Rinse and repeat.

- Ask the tester at the end of the test what they felt was the biggest issue
with the app.  Ask the tester to reiterate how they would correct the problem.
Review your list of problems encountered by the tester to confirm your
understanding of the issues.

- Record/note all responses.  Keep written notes at a minimum, use audio and/or
video recording to collect more detailed/nuanced responses. In an ideal world,
you would record the tester and the screen they interact with concurrently.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director