David C. wrote:

I think Sarah's right, your code isn't checking to see if the file already
has the same extension. Add this to your "save" handler after you get the
user's file name:

put ".ext" into tExtension -- use yours
set the itemDelimiter to "."
if last item of tFileName <> tExtension
then put tExension after tFilename

Now you shouldn't get duplicate extensions and if the file exists it will be
overwritten.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay

Since it correctly prompts about the file replacement, I really
thought that it would be handled accordingly by the Rev engine... live
and learn as they say. :)

I just ran a test and was unable to reproduce the prompt:

I used "ask file whatever", and in the OS putfile dialog I typed the name of an existing file but without the extension. The dialog did not prompt that this was a duplicate name. I also tried a different extension, with the same result.

The only time I could get the OS dialog to report that the file name was the same as an existing file was when I included the file extension matching the existing file.

This is consistent with Rev's behavior too, since it will only overwrite the file if the complete name of the file is an exact match of an existing one.

Do you have a recipe for getting the OS dialog to report a duplicate name when the extension is different? Which OS are you using?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World