David C. wrote:

I just ran a test and was unable to reproduce the prompt:

I used "ask file whatever", and in the OS putfile dialog I typed the name of
an existing file but without the extension.  The dialog did not prompt that
this was a duplicate name.   I also tried a different extension, with the
same result.

The only time I could get the OS dialog to report that the file name was the
same as an existing file was when I included the file extension matching the
existing file.

This is consistent with Rev's behavior too, since it will only overwrite the
file if the complete name of the file is an exact match of an existing one.

Do you have a recipe for getting the OS dialog to report a duplicate name
when the extension is different?  Which OS are you using?
--
 Richard Gaskin

Hi Richard,
I'm using the code exactly as was shown in my original post, with the
exception of the actual filename and extension which I made more
generic for the sake of example. Here is the code again as well:

on SaveTheFile
  ask file "Save project as:" with filter "MYFL file,*.myfl"
  if it <> "" then
     put it into tfile
     put fld "save list" into tFiletoSave
     put tFileToSave into url ("file:" &  tfile & ".myfl")
  else
     exit to top
  end if
 end SaveTheFile

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium with admin privileges and the UAC turned on.

Ah, I was testing on Mac. I'm not at my Win box so I won't be able to confirm there, but I suspect this is a bug/feature in Windows. Whether it's a bug or a feature depends on one's point of view; IMO it should only warn of an overwrite with an exact match, but there may be a valid reason why the OS is using a more loose definition.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World