Yeah, that's definitely a character encoding mismatch.  You can either set
your database driver to a different encoding (check your docs), or we could
possibly introduce a feature in iBATIS that will let you set the encoding on
the DOM builder so that it understands whichever character is causing the
problem.

Which character is it though?  It almost looks like it was complaining about
-- (double dashes), which are reserved for closing comments IIRC.

Clinton