Hi Prabhu,

I'm pretty sure that the Kafka 09 consumer commits offsets to Kafka when
checkpointing is turned on.

In the FlinkKafkaConsumerBase.notifyCheckpointComplete(), we call
fetcher.commitSpecificOffsetsToKafka(checkpointOffsets);, which calls
this.consumer.commitSync(offsetsToCommit); in
Kafka09Fetcher.commitSpecificOffsetsToKafka().