Hi!

There was an issue in the Kafka 0.9 consumer in Flink concerning
checkpoints. It was relevant mostly for lower-throughput topics /
partitions.

It is fixed in the 1.1.3 release. Can you try out the release candidate and
see if that solves your problem?
See here for details on the release candidate:

To test this, set the dependency for the flink-connector-kafka-09 to
"1.1.3" and add the staging repository described in the above link to your
pom.xml.

Thanks,
Stephan