From: Diwaker Gupta [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 2:17 AM
To: user@forrest.apache.org
Subject: Re: Help with new templates

On Sunday 31 July 2005 6:10 pm, CFAS Webmaster wrote:
>   Is anyone would be willing to help me through the process of making
> this work properly?  The original site that I'm trying to emulate is:
> http://www.cfas.org/, the new site is
> http://cfas-new.kronenpj.dyndns.org/.

glad to help where I can :)

>   Essentially, I'd like the third column flush against the header.  I
> think it'll work if I can convince Forrest to place that column in its
> own <div id="rightbar">.  Unfortunately since it's part of the source
> file, it's part of <div id="content">.  I looked briefly at writing a
> new contract but I don't know enough about them to know if that's even
> a valid approach.

Have you read the documentation on views?
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/howto/howto-view-dsl.html

IIUC, all you need to do is put some of the content (like your quicklinks
and
news items on the old site) within another <forrest:hook> in the view file
for the front page (most likely it should be named index.fv) and thats it!

Just in case you didn't know, you can specify per file as well as per
directory view configs. So, each page can have a different layout, all pages

in the same directory can have a different layout and so on!

The naming convention is that for a file named foo.xml, Forrest will look
for
foo.fv, and then default.fv in the directory containing foo.xml, and then
the
project wide default.fv and then finally the default.fv that ships with
views.

HTH,
Diwaker
--