Hello,
If you look at my log in the two cases when the WoL is active i get

       guacd[2674]: DEBUG: Sending Wake-on-LAN packet, and pausing for 15
seconds.
       guacd[2674]: DEBUG: Client is using protocol version "VERSION_1_5_0"
       guacd[1]: INFO: Connection "$6e922686-03ca-43ac-82f2-d1c3079d8074"
removed.
       guacd[1]: DEBUG: Unable to request termination of client process: No
such process
       guacd[1]: DEBUG: All child processes for connection
"$6e922686-03ca-43ac-82f2-d1c3079d8074" have been terminated.

Aren't the last two entries a signal of something going wrong inside guacd?
In fact that explains why even if the machine is up and running there is no
way to establish a connection as long as the WoL tick is present

Regards,