I think something that might work is:

feature:install <SymbolicName>[;<Version-Range>]

We could support this syntax alternatively to a simple feature name.

Do you think we need a special way to track the installed application/feature bundles? Or is it good enough that they are present in the system as bundles? If I understood correctly then the feature service would uninstall bundles that are not part of an installed feature if they are marked as managed.

In any case I think with the combination of repository indexes and application/feature bundles we are on a very promising path.

I hope the next version of bndtools will make it easier to create the artifacts in a more maven centric way. So both the bundles and indexes created by bndtools are made available in the maven repository. This would then be a very natural integration into the karaf deployment process. We could then allow custom distributions to specify a mvn url to an index like we do for a feature. The plugin could then copy the index as well as all bundles referenced in the index into the karaf system dir so the result is standalone.

Christian