> I think something that might work is:
>
> feature:install <SymbolicName>[;<Version-Range>]

That sounds very nice.

> We could support this syntax alternatively to a simple feature name.
>
> Do you think we need a special way to track the installed application/feature
> bundles? Or is it good enough that they are present in the system as bundles?
> If I understood correctly then the feature
> service would uninstall bundles that are not part of an installed feature if
> they are marked as managed.

Yes, absolutely. The goal would be to install and uninstall the
workspace/application bundles as a unit (assuming that no other “applications”
are using a dependency).

The features show a nice list of what is installed. This is exactly the type of
list that would be very useful to show which workspaces/applications are
installed.

> In any case I think with the combination of repository indexes and
> application/feature bundles we are on a very promising path.

Sounds so to me. :-)

> I hope the next version of bndtools will make it easier to create the
> artifacts in a more maven centric way. So both the bundles and indexes
> created by bndtools are made available in the maven repository. This would
> then
> be a very natural integration into the karaf deployment process. We could
> then allow custom distributions to specify a mvn url to an index like we do
> for a feature. The plugin could then copy the index as well as all bundles
> referenced in the index into the karaf system dir so the result is standalone.

When I moved to bndtools, I also moved over to the gradle world. I just hope
that this won’t force me back to maven. :-)

Cheers,
=David