It is used to notify some services that the agents are out there ready to
process data.  The service takes into account who and how many are out there
and some information from the HB to perform some sort of load balancing.
Without the HB the service does not know how many agents are out and tasking is
assigned only when an offer is received, but that is not as effective as it
should be if the service would know in advance about the cluster's load.
Thanks,
Oscar

On Monday, August 7, 2017, 11:13:10 AM EDT, James Peach <jor...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2017, at 3:03 AM, Oeg Bizz <oegb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> I have a framework that relies on information sent by a custom Java Command
> Executor; think of some sort of heartbeat.  I start getting hearbeats after I
> send a task to that mesos-slave, but never before that.  That makes me assume
> that the CommandExecutor is not started until a task is submitted to be
> executed by that agent.  Is there a way to tell mesos-slave to start the
> ComandExecutor as soon as it starts running?

Not AFAIK. Executors are always spawned in order to execute tasks. In your
case, what is the heartbeat for, if there are no tasks on the agent?