Hi Mark,
My experience with creating a contribution was overall positive. I did
encounter a few of issues that I had to work around:
1) meecrowave.properties and CLI binding - I have several options classes that
I registered as Cli.Options service loader extensions and I was able to obtain
the commandline provided values without a problem. However additionally I
wanted to bind meecrowave.properties values to the same options instance so I
could access both the CLI values and configured values. From what I can tell
the CLI values and properties are mutually exclusive, i.e. one can't override a
properties file set value with a CLI value like in most apps. In any event when
I tried to include my extension options in meecrowave.properties they were
never available either before or after meecrowave started. I ended up creating
a separate properties file and manually loading it using
builder.setProperties(myProperties) and then
builder.getExtension(CliExtOptions.class);
2) Add support of interfaces for extensions - I have several plugable
interfaces I am using and it would have been nice to be able to register
extensions instead of the extension automatically being instantiated. For
example builder.addExtension(MyInterface.class,MyImplObject) and
builder.getExtension(MyInterface.class) != null? .... Right now a reference to
the concrete implementation class always needs to be retained to lookup an
extension.
3) CDI support for objects instantiated in the extention - This was by far my
biggest headache and I spent a couple of hours trying to get this to work.
Basically I wanted to create a single instance of my OAuthClient that was
configured via properties and have that be injectable into the running
application. I wanted a configuration exactly like OWBAutoSetup,java that
registers Meecrowave and it's builder as being injectable. I tried multiple
attempts of adding a Tomcat listener to call the WebBeansContext.getInstance()
in the right classloader with the same beanManager.addInternalBean logic but my
listener was always called too late. This is where my request to allow
extensions to add servletcontextlisteners originated from.

I ended up creating a CDI extension that works around the issue by leveraging
the Meecrowave extension feature to lookup the configured instance:
public class WebAuthenticatorCDIExtension implements Extension {
WebAuthenticator webAuthenticator;

 //I am not sure how OAuth2WebAuthenticator was discovered by openwebbeans but
it needs to be vetoed to avoid an ambiguous dependency exception with the
unmanaged bean below. void processAnnotatedType(@Observes
ProcessAnnotatedType<OAuth2WebAuthenticator> pat) { pat.veto(); }
 void addBeans(@Observes final AfterBeanDiscovery afb, final BeanManager bm) {
afb.addBean().beanClass(WebAuthenticator.class).scope(ApplicationScoped.class).types(WebAuthenticator.class,
 Object.class).qualifiers(DefaultLiteral.INSTANCE).createWith(cc -> { return
webAuthenticator; });
 }
 void initBeans(@Observes final AfterDeploymentValidation adv, final
BeanManager bm) { //copied from JPA Extension try { final ServletContext sc =
ServletContext.class.cast(bm.getReference(bm.resolve(bm.getBeans(ServletContext.class)),
 ServletContext.class, bm.createCreationalContext(null))); Meecrowave.Builder
config =
Meecrowave.Builder.class.cast(sc.getAttribute("meecrowave.configuration"));
ResourceFinder finder = new ResourceFinder("META-INF/services/"); Class<?>
webAuthenticatorImpl = finder.findImplementation(WebAuthenticator.class); if
(webAuthenticatorImpl != null) { webAuthenticator = (WebAuthenticator)
config.getExtension(webAuthenticatorImpl); } } catch (Exception e) {
adv.addDeploymentProblem(e); } }
}
Is there a better  way to expose extension instances to the application for
injection? Is there a way to add other instances to the ServletContext?
Regards,
Aaron

    On Friday, February 2, 2018 2:18 AM, Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>