Trident is the only way to create topology declaratively, and also only way
to support exactly-once. A relatively new project 'Storm SQL' uses Trident.
Trident is not even deprecated.

Btw, one of the clear advantage of Storm compared to Spark is the low
latency coming from streaming model, but Trident is also micro-batch model
hence also high latency. So IMHO Storm should invest streaming model more,
and eventually supports streaming and batch (if possible), not micro-batch.

There is some efforts regarding declarative API with streaming model,
STORM-1961 <>. Design doc
is available so you can take a look and comment, and also implementation is
available <> (though not reviewed)
so if you want to try it out you can build your own package and do some
experiments and feedback. Once this API supports exactly-once (in later
phase), this API might replace Trident usage, but it's unlikely be done in
a near future.

One thing you may need to know when playing with open source is that
answering the questions, participate the discussions, do some contributions
(code, doc, whatever), and all of things need considerable time, and many
of community members spend their leisure time to do it. Even someone is
supported by employer to work on Storm, they normally have other works as
well. (hence priority matters as same as what you meet in your daily work)

You need to find out your own answer if no one interests your question (or
no one can answer your question, who knows). Open source is not free, it
requires time and efforts instead of money, and that's why open source
technical support is valid for business model.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)

2016년 10월 17일 (월) 오전 5:29, Cheney Chen <>님이 작성:

Wondering as well.
Unfortunately just tried out weeks ago. I thought it was powerful and easy
to integrate.
Personally got questions not responded for days.

Looking forwards to clear answer here.

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Adrienne Kole <>

Hi ,

I am wondering is trident  a dead project?
Or is it wrong place to ask questions about trident?
Or did storm stop supporting trident?

I haven't seen any support for given questions related with this project in
previous 2-3 month.

Qili Chen (Cheney)

MP: (+1) 4086217503 <+1%20408-621-7503>